Our School Menu
To provide a safe, nurturing, and challenging environment where all stakeholders set high standards and provide support and motivation for all students.
For all students to grow academically and socially every day.
In a beautiful, pastoral setting, Gladeville Elementary School is located on the oldest school site in Wilson County. On September 3, 1831, Benjamin Hooker provided land for the first building. In 1833, the school began operation. Students rode horses to school and boarded them at the saddle shop across from the school building. That same saddle shop building remains standing across from today’s Gladeville Elementary.
On December 11, 1877, the school was reorganized as a “subscription school” plan for several years. A “subscription school” plan was again followed during the Depression of 1907.
A new twelve-year high school was built on the property in 1921. It became a ten-year school in the fall of 1926 when eleventh and twelfth grades were moved to the Mt. Juliet High School. On February 17, 1938, the frame structure burned. A new brick building opened in the fall of 1938 and continued the first through tenth grade program. In 1944, Gladeville became an eight-year school with students choosing either Mt. Juliet High School or Lebanon High School. Gladeville remained an eight-year school until the completion of the new Junior High school in Mt. Juliet. Gladeville’s six-year program continued until the 1978-79 school year when the new building was completed and a Kindergarten program was added.
Mr. David Price continued as principal following the move into the new building. In the fall of 1979, Mr. Ray Byrd became principal and remained until 1984. Mr. James Swain served as principal during the 1984-1985 school year. With the beginning of the 1985-1986 school year, Ms. Jane Atwood became principal and served the student body until her retirement in May 2003. The assistant principal, Monica Hopkins (Fox), assumed the position of principal, and Bonita Thompson became assistant principal. At the end of the 2011-12 school year, Bonita Thompson retired, and Anne Barger joined Gladeville as assistant principal. At the end of the 2015-16 school year, Anne Barger was named the Pre K/Parenting and Family Resource Coordinator for Wilson County Schools, and Mitzi Smith was named Assistant Principal at Gladeville Elementary beginning the 2016-17 school year. In June 2020 Mitzi Smith retired, and Amy Dunlap joined Gladeville as assistant principal.
To address overcrowding and to redistribute the student population, Rutland Elementary was built. In the fall of 1999, many students living in the Gladeville Elementary zone were rezoned to Rutland Elementary. The next year, the sixth grade students were moved to West Wilson Middle School in Mt. Juliet. At the beginning of the 2006-2007 school year, a pre-kindergarten program was added. Gladeville Elementary currently serves pre-kindergarten through fifth grade students.
Gladeville Elementary has a strong faculty and staff who are constantly striving to meet the needs of today’s students and to prepare them to be productive citizens in our ever-changing world. In spite of numerous changes, Gladeville Elementary continues to grow and thrive.