Applicants applying for a certified position in Wilson County Schools MUST hold a valid TN teaching license with appropriate endorsement. If hired and your TN license is not approved by the beginning of the school year, it will result in termination.
Per (49-5-101) Basic requirements: No person shall be employed as principal, teacher or supervisor of any public elementary or high school by any local school district, or receive any pay for such services out of the public school funds of the local school district until the person presents to the director of schools a valid license as prescribed in this part. It is unlawful for any board of education to issue any warrant or check to such persons for services as principal, teacher or supervisor until the person has presented for record a license valid for the term of employment.
Beginning August 1, 2023, candidates seeking initial licensure, or an endorsement, advancement, or renewal of existing licensure, to teach students in K-3 or as an instructional leader will be required to either:
- Provide a certificate documenting the candidate's passage of a Tennessee reading instruction test developed or identified by the department and approved by the state board that tests the candidate's knowledge of foundational literacy skills instruction. The department will recommend to the state board for approval, the score that constitutes passage of the test. Also, the department will provide the test at no cost to the candidate or educator preparation provider; or
- Provide evidence documenting the candidate's completion of a foundational literacy skills instruction course within the previous year.
September 1, 2015, was the start of the new licensure policies we currently follow. To renew or advance a Practitioner license (non-occupational), educators are required to complete an approved educator preparation program AND submit passing scores on ALL required assessments. The state will not give extensions or make exceptions. This rule mostly affects educators who have recently moved to Tennessee from other states and/or those teaching on a job-embedded license.
To see if you need to take a Praxis test, do the following:
- Log into your TNCompass account and click on My Educator Profile.
- Click on the Licensure tab at the top of the page.
- Scroll down to Assessments. All Praxis tests taken in Tennessee should be listed here. Test scores are only accepted if they have been taken in the last 5 years.
- Go to Tennessee Test Requirements on the ETS Praxis site: https://www.ets.org/praxis/tn/requirements/.
- Find your specific licensure area under Tests Required for Specific Licensure.
- Make sure you have taken the tests listed beside your licensure endorsement. If you took a test while out of state, the test code must be the same in order for you to use it.
**Please note that this does not apply to teachers with an occupational license, old out-of-state license, or professionally licensed teachers.**
To contact HR
Click on the Let's Talk Icon Below!