Learning Resources & Tutorials
Wilson County School District's Parent University provides tutorials, information, and resources to parents, caregivers, and learning coaches that will aid in engaging with their student’s learning throughout the 2021-2022 school year.
Parent University is designed to:
- Increase parental involvement and participation in schools
- Provide continuous access to resources
- Empower parents to become effective advocates for their children
- Equip parents with the knowledge and awareness of resources available to students
Wilson County Schools wants to ensure all students, families, and district personnel have the needed support to maintain effective levels of learning during the 2021-2022 school year. For information and assistance, visit Parent & Student Technology Support.
Testing Zoom Audio Before Your Zoom Meeting
The following provides an overview of how to test audio in Zoom. Zoom updates its software on a regular basis. To make sure you have the most current version, check for updates.
- Always run an audio test before starting or joining a meeting.
- During the test, if you cannot hear any audio:
- Make sure your computer speakers are on and not muted
- If your speakers appear to be on and the volume is up, but you do not hear the audio, check Zoom's audio settings and select a different speaker.
- During the test, if you cannot hear the audio your microphone recorded:
- Make sure you have the right microphone selected. To select a different microphone, click the upward arrow to the right of the Mute button. Choose another microphone and test the audio again.
- If you do not see a microphone listed or your microphone is still not coming through clear, Switch to the Phone Audio.
- During the test, if your audio sounds muffled or distorted choose Switch to Phone Audio. Follow the instructions in the pop-up window.
TIP: You can also switch to phone if your audio goes out during an active Zoom Meeting.
Troubleshooting Tips for Audio in Zoom
Do you sound quiet?
Check the Zoom Audio Overview for information on adjusting your sounds settings.
Do you sound like a robot?
Please check to make sure you are sitting near your router, with strong internet signal.
Do you have a headset?
Using a headset is always a good option to cut down on background noise when you listen and to help you sound more clearn when you speak.
Most Important Tip: Do you have strong internet in the room you are using for your Zoom meeting? Go to Google and search "speed test" Click to determine the quality of your internet speed.
Schoology is a learning management program that provides a way to organize and deliver content to students. Teachers and students can collaborate and interact with online learning tools for a manageable experience for all as we navigate the world of digital learning to provide the best learning opportunities, in and out of the classroom.
Schoology helps students stay organized and it keeps the class connected by viewing and interacting with the following features:
School and class announcements
Receiving a Schoology error or other issue with connecting? Check the Schoology Status for updates on maintenance and disruption of service.
Achieve 3000: (Grades 3-12)
Achieve3000 is a research-based non-fiction reading program that gives each student informational articles at their own unique reading level. The program adapts as the student demonstrates comprehension, slowly increasing the complexity of the text to grow his/her reading Lexile level.
Accessed through ClassLink.
ALEKS: (Grades 3-12)
ALEKS (Assessment and LEarning in Knowledge Spaces) is a research-based, web-based, artificially intelligent assessment and learning online math program for grades 3-12.
Discovery Education provides students access standards-based digital curriculum resources for K–12 classrooms.
Accessed through ClassLink.
GoGuardian Parent App Overview
GoGuardian Parent App enables schools to share student's online activity with their parent or guardian.
Wilson County Schools is excited to announce that through our partnership with GoGuardian, guardians can now have more visibility and control of school-issued devices at home.
- Download the App
- Register Your Account
- Type in email address listed under your parent contact in Skyward.
- A prompt “Please check your email - Click the link in your email to log in” prompt will appear or type in the pin from the email.
- Fully Read the Terms of Service and click “Accept” in order to continue.
- Visibility for Guardians
- Teacher Interventions - Teachers are able to interact with students using GoGuardian with the ability to lock screens and close and open tabs during their classroom sessions.
- Student Reports - Direct Access to student online activity reports.
- Teacher Interactions - Access to reports of teacher interactions in the classrooms such as the number of times teachers need to close a tab.
- Additional Guardian Controls
- Ability to block websites on school-issued devices during out-of-school hours.
- Ability to pause internet access on school-issued devices during out-of-school hours.
- More detailed instructions can be found by visiting Getting Started with GoGuardian Parent.
Troubleshooting Tips in the event you receive an error message stating this user does not exist:
- Navigate to Skyward to confirm your parent email address.
- Submit a Student/Parent Technology Helpdesk Ticket for more assistance.
Student Device Guide
Logging Into Your Device:
- Students will log into their Chromebook with their ClassLink username and password.
- For offline access, you need to log in by clicking "sign in with a different account."
- Treat the device as your own. You are responsible for the care of your device.
- Do not eat or drink around your device.
- Do not expose your device to moisture.
- Clean with a microfiber cloth.
Connect to Network at Home
- Click on the bottom right.
- Click on the WiFi icon
- Choose your network and type in your password.
Transporting Your Chromebook
- Carry your Chromebook with both hands.
- Transport the Chromebook in a personal backpack between classes and from school to home.
- Bring your Chromebook to school charged each day.
- ClassLink is a one-stop portal for your Instructional Technology Programs.
- Watch How to Access ClassLink and Google.
- Let your teacher know if you are having issues with your Chomebook.
- Submit a ticket to the Student/Parent Technology Help Desk located under the Technology Support section on the KIDS website.
- Call the Wilson County Technology HelpDesk Line for students and parents at 615-547-7314 between 8:00 a.m. and 3:00 p.m. Monday through Friday, excluding holidays.
For a printable version, visit Student Device Guide.
Internet Safety (Grades PreK-12)
Common Sense Media offers way to help maximize the Internet's benefits -- while minimizing the risks -- using the latest research, tips, and tools on what really keeps kids safe.