Homeschool Information

  • Parents in Tennessee may choose to home school their own children in grades K-12. The Tennessee Home School law (Tennessee Code Annotated 49-6-3050) states that a “home school” is a school conducted or directed by a parent or parents, or a legal guardian or guardians, for their own children.”

    The Wilson County School District strives to be the first choice for families in Wilson County but realizes that some families will choose to home school. We have provided information that will assist you in making your educational choice. Parents desiring to home school their own children may do so by choosing one of the following three options:

    • Independent Home School
      • The Tennessee Notice of Intent to Home School is required as notice of your intent to conduct a home school. This form is to be completed only by the parent(s) or legal guardian(s) conducting a home school under the supervision of the superintendent of a local education agency (LEA).
        A child must be enrolled each year the child is home schooled. During the school year, should home schooling stop or a family moves out of the school district, Wilson County Schools must be notified. In addition to notifying the school system, families will have to submit an attendance calendar that is up to date.
      • Parents must provide a copy of your child(ren)'s immunization records on the Official Tennessee Certificate of Immunization.
      • Provide proof of the required parent(s) or legal guardian(s) education credentials (High School diploma, GED or College degree/transcripts)
      • The parent/legal guardian is required to keep an attendance calendar that shows the child(ren) are receiving a minimum of at least 4 hours of instruction per day for 180 instruction days. Failure to provide attendance records will consider the student truant and warrant juvenile truancy proceedings.
      • New Residents to Wilson County may be required to provide additional information. Contact the Home School Department at (615) 444-3282.
    • Church-related Umbrella School
      • Parents may home school their own child(ren) by registering with a church-related “umbrella” school defined by (TCA 49-50-801). Parents who choose this option will be required to provide evidence to the local school district that their child has enrolled in a state approved church-related school. An Intent to Home School form is not required for students who enroll in a church-related school. The church-related school will determine record keeping and test requirements for students enrolled in an umbrella program.
    • Accredited Online School
      • Parents may also enroll their child(ren) in an accredited online school. Parents choosing this educational option must be sure to determine that the school has legitimate accreditation status and will be required to provide evidence to the local school district that their child has enrolled in an accredited online school.

    Home schooled students not enrolled with a home school agency such, as a Category IV church-related umbrella school or an accredited online school must register their child with the school district as Independent Home School.

    For more information, visit the following resources: