Return to Headlines

Zone Exemption Applications: February 1 - February 28, 2021

Zone Exemption Intro and Eligible Schools

Parents who would like to request a Zone Exemption for their child (formerly known as Open Enrollment) for the 2021-2022 school year will be required to submit an online application, February 1 - February 28, 2021.  This includes children of all teachers and staff who work for the district.

The following schools are eligible for Zone Exemption requests:

  • Carroll-Oakland Elementary (K-8)
  • Elzie D. Patton Elementary (K-5)
  • Gladeville Middle (6-8)
  • Lakeview Elementary (K-5)
  • Mt. Juliet Elementary (K-5)
  • Rutland Elementary (K-5)
  • Southside Elementary (K-8)
  • Springdale Elementary (K-5)
  • Tuckers Crossroads (K-8)
  • W.A. Wright Elementary (K-5)
  • Watertown Elementary (K-5)
  • Watertown Middle (6-8)
  • Watertown High School (9-12)

Zone Exemption Requests & Submissions

To request a zone exemption, please complete one of the forms below and submit to Stan Moss by February 28, 2021  Forms submitted after February 28, 2021 will be denied upon receipt..

Zone Exemption Request Form

Zone Exemption Request Form for Employees

(Tips for Electronic Signatures)

Please note that the review process will start  March 1, 2021 and will notify parents and employees of approval or denial by April 15, 2021.

Zone Exemption Transportation

As always, in the event that a request is granted, bus service will not be provided.  Parents will be responsible for transporting their child to and from school each day.

Zone Exemption Frequently Asked Questions

Applying for a Zone Exemption

If I was approved for a school transfer last year, will I need to reapply this year?

You will not have to re-apply if you meet the following conditions:

  1. You continue to reside within the Wilson County Schools District
  2. Your student has not changed schools
  3. You were not conditionally approved due to course(s)

If my student changes schools because of grade promotion (Example: 5th grade at Mt. Juliet Elementary to 6th grade at Mt. Juliet Middle), will I have to complete a Zone Exemption for my student to remain in the feeder school pattern?

Yes, you will need to complete a Zone Exemption application.

Where can I find the Zone Exemption application? 

You will find the Zone Exemption application on the website starting February 1 through February 28 at 12:00 p.m.

Will you take Zone Exemption applications after February 28th?

Only if there has been a change in residency within the school year or custody and/or guardianship of the student.  All other applications are denied if received after February 28, 2021.

What happens if a school does not offer the class(es) that my student would like to take?   

You will need to submit a Zone Exemption application during the month of February.  Under “Reason for requesting a zone exemption” select “Course Offering Not Available at School of Zone” and explain in the space provided for “Other” (see example below). We will take the application and approve or deny based upon space available in the class(es) requested.  

Where can I find the School Board policy concerning zone exemptions?

School Board Policy 6.206 governs the zone exemption process and procedures.

Zone Exemption Approval

Will I have to provide transportation if my Zone Exemption application is approved?

YES. If you are unable to provide transportation, your application will be denied.

If circumstances change (e.g., I can no longer provide transportation), can my student return to their school of zone?

Once you have been granted a zone exemption, you must remain at the school requested for the remainder of the year. Your student will not be allowed to transfer back to their school of zone, unless the family is moving or there is a change in custody/guardianship of the student.

Can a zone exemption approval be revoked?

Zone Exemptions are subject to review at any time by the Director of Schools and/or the school administrator(s), and are subject to revocation upon the recommendation of the principal(s) of the school.

Zone Exemption Appeals

If my zone exemption application is denied by the Director of Schools, how do I appeal to the Wilson County Schools Board of Education?

Within 10 days of the date of the denial, you must submit a request in writing to the School Board. Your request for appeal must include the following:

  1. State the specific reasons why you contend your student should not attend their school of zone; and
  2. Why the student should be granted a zone exemption for the requested school.

You may fax your appeal to the Board Secretary at 615-453-7338 or send your appeal via mail to:

Wilson County Schools
C/O Board Secretary
415 Harding Drive
Lebanon, TN 37087

Your appeal will be heard at the next scheduled Board meeting. If you submit your appeal outside of the 10 day deadline, your appeal will not be considered.

Zone Exemption Questions

All questions about Zone Exemption should be addressed to Stanley Moss at 615-453-7281, or