September 1, 2015, was the start of the new licensure policies we currently follow. To renew or advance a Practitioner license (non-occupational), educators are required to complete an approved educator preparation program AND submit passing scores on ALL required assessments. The state will not give extensions or make exceptions. This rule mostly affects educators who have recently moved to Tennessee from other states and/or those teaching on a job-embedded license.
To see if you need to take a Praxis test, do the following:
- Log into your TNCompass account and click on My Educator Profile.
- Click on the Licensure tab at the top of the page.
- Scroll down to Assessments. All Praxis tests taken in Tennessee should be listed here. Test scores are only accepted if they have been taken in the last 5 years.
- Go to Tennessee Test Requirements on the ETS Praxis site: https://www.ets.org/praxis/tn/requirements/.
- Find your specific licensure area under Tests Required for Specific Licensure.
- Make sure you have taken the tests listed beside your licensure endorsement. If you took a test while out of state, the test code must be the same in order for you to use it.
**Please note that this does not apply to teachers with an occupational license, old out-of-state license, or professionally licensed teachers.**